How we identify ourselves varies depending on who we want to be. My book, Divergent, is about a girl who finds out that she isn't going to let her family make her someone else. Beatrice, now known as Tris, must choose between 5 different social groups to decide where she will spend the rest of her life. When she gets to the test that tells her which "faction" she should choose, the results are divided between Dauntless the brave, Abnegation the selfless and Erudite the knowledgeable. Her family wants her to stick with what she grew up with, Abnegation, she doesn't. When she chooses Dauntless, she begins to have doubts. She is still uncertain where she belongs.
Tris grew up as an Abnegation. That's where her family is. Switching Factions would make her family feel betrayed. One morning, she wakes up and her family moves her : "On these mornings when my brother makes breakfast, and my father's hand skims my hair as he reads the newspaper, and my mother hums as she clears the table-it is on these mornings that I feel guiltiest for wanting to leave them". When she shares a bonding moment with her family, It makes it harder to want to leave. I think rebellion is hard for all of us when you see how much you love your family.
Tris didn't realize that she really wasn't meant to be Abnegation. Tris, decides that she will be Dauntless: "I open my eyes and thrust my arm out. My blood drips onto the carpet between the two bowl. Then, with a gasp I can't contain, I shift my hand forward, and my blood sizzles on the coals. I am selfish. I am brave". She has the courage to choose Dauntless. Because she was brave, she chose the more difficult choice. If we all have a chance to choose something big, the best choice would be the one that is difficult, but for the best.
Deep down in the Dauntless home, Tris becomes uncertain about her choice. She settles her problem by plunging right into the Dauntless vibe with a tatoo: "'Yes' I say. 'Three of the se flying birds.' I touch my collar bone, marking the path of their flight -toward my heart. One for each member of the family I left behind". Tris embraces the Dauntless attitude but also honors her past. When people go though a big change, it is always good to remember what you left.
It's tough to betray your family. It's also tough to life a life that just doesn't suit you. Tris struggled to figure out where her future lay but she found it. Although it wasn't easy, she learned that the best things for you don't come without loss. I think that if people found a way to move on with their life but still remember their past after a big change,we wouldn't have as much trouble.
Some random thing of no importance I wrote:
I love beef jerky!! Sometimes, it's juicy and tender other times its tough and flavorful. No matter what texture, beef jerky will always remain in my heart. Hallelujah!!
No comments:
Post a Comment